09 May 2016

Layers of Loving - anniversary card


After all the browns and oranges I've been working with lately, I decided to use a colour palette more to my personal preference. I love purple. The challenge inspirations were anniversary, stenciling, layers and, for my personal challenge, frilly.


Supplies

Paper:
Stampin' Up - Eggplant Envy: retired
Recollections 65lb cardstock - white and lavender
Spellbinders Media Mixage iridescent translucent surfaces - pearl
Recollections 5.5x5.5" card base

Stamp:
Hero Arts - Everyday Sayings

Stencil, die, punch:
Heidi Swapp latice stencil
Spellbinders - Victorian medallion One
Recollections scalloped oval punch
Tonic Studios Victorian edge punch

Ink, embossing, and colourant:
Pearl Ex powdered pigment -duo violet/brass and interference green
Recollections embossing powder - purlple

Adhesives:
Adhesive clear dots from December Spellbinders Makersmart kit

Extras:
White paper roses from December Spellbinders Makersmart kit
Recollections purple jewels
Rijacki Design resin oval cabochon: Pearl Ex duo red/blue mixed with resin

Recollections embossing heat tool

Putting It Together

This card starts with a stencil and an experiment. I've seen videos on using micro fine glitter with stencils and have been wanting to try it with Pearl Ex. I love Pearl Ex and often use it with resin to add sparkle and colour. 


I put a strip of adhesive sheet on to the paper. I laid the stencil directly on the adhesive. I brushed on Pearl Ex duo violet/brass. The duo Pearl Ex colour shift with how the light hits them making them very elegant and full of character. 

When I took off the stencil, the Pearl Ex stays on the adhesive leaving a lovely pattern.


To cover the remaining adhesive areas exposed by the stencil, I brushed on Pearl Ex interference green. This colour is white with a green ovrtone. When turned in the light more green is visible.


I trimmed away the area around the stenciled panel.


I looked through my stash to find complimentary papers. I decided to cut a thin strip of the turquoise foil paper and the purple glitterstock instead of layering them both to save more of those papers for other projects and to reduce bulk on the card.


Using a Spellbinders die, I cut a medallion from transparent pearl paper and dry fit it with the others.


I dry fit in some other elements, a sentiment, some paper roses, and a resin oval cabochon I created weeks ago. I also used


The cabochon needed a frame of some sort, so I cut a scalloped oval with a punch of the turquoise foil cardstock. I used Multi-Medium to adhere the cabochon  to the scalloped oval.


Another dry fitting to see if I needed anything more.


I cut the "Happy Anniversary" script stamp into two pieces to be able to stack the words. After affixing the darker purple background cardstock, I stamped the sentiment with Versamark and used purple embossing powder.

After this, I got "in the zone" and forgot to pause and take pictures as I went through the remaining steps, so I'll have to describe them with detail clips from the whole card image.


I adhered the two small strips to the lace edge (which has about 2 inches of blank cardstock above the edging) and positioned the stenciling above them. This gave me one panel to work with. I put foam tape on the back, above the lace edge and on the sides and top. I added a bit of extra foam tape where the cabochon was going to be added. This gives the lacy edge some dimension over the pale purple bottom.



Because I was going to adhere the medallion to the card and I didn't want the adhesive spots to show through the translucent paper, I added pearls where I wanted to put bits of the sticky dots. I also added some pale purple gems. Behind each pearl is a small bit of the sticky dot, perfectly hidden.


Before I laid the medallion in place, I also put a full sticky dot in the centre to be hidden by the cabochon. This also counters the light weight of the cabochon to prevent it lifting away the whole medallion when the card is upright. The cabochon was adhered to the medallion with a bit of foam tape to lift the oval scallop.


To cover up an errant tiny spot of embossing, I added 3 tiny pale purple gems below the sentiment. The centre one is covering the errant spot.


For many weeks I have been trying to find a card where adding these roses felt 'right'. This is the one that worked. They balance the sentiment and form a triangle with the cabochon and sentiment anchoring the card and pointing to the stenciling at the top.


The decorated dark purple panel was added to the card base with foam mounting tape. The tape is along the top, bottom, and sides as well as a couple in the middle to hold the weight of everything.


Challenges

Stamp, Share, and Inspire FB group weekly challenge: Anniversary card

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog May Sketch:


2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful anniversary card!! I especially love the stenciling. Great use of our sketch for this month. Thanks for joining our challenge this week with Kraftin Kimmie Stamps.
    Marilyn DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is so pretty and elegant.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.